7 ;, ; y L “g‘ya;;t.,...z:..'.;m.&?&3ue-4AM"7
. ROYAL 1?i.Vj.L STIIHF COLLEGE, GREEIVFLCIE
SCHEME NO. 1649 u PRINCIPIES oz: Te-.".AR .
Amendices :-- A -' Suggested Solutioxi
' ‘B - Boints 1'01‘ Central Discussion
0 v- Suggested Speakers
Puggose of the Scliemg
1. (a.) To further study of the Principles of War
ride War Manual, Chap. 3, pain. 9 and Chap. 11+).
(1)) To give jpzactice in analysis and critical judgment.
(:2) To give practice in writing a paper.
. Briefing x
2. It should be clear from the setting that the Director wants
a paper to study and not eithenlectuze notes or a thesis. The
number of wczds required (11.00 - 1800) is only a guide for the ‘terse
and the verbose.
3. Students should be told that they do not have to drag in every
‘ Principle for the sake of a full house.
15.. The paper can be dealt with in phases, zromarlcing on the relevant
principles in each phase. This is apt to be eltnnsy, leading to a
lengthy paper with the lessons obscure.
5. Th‘ alternative is to deal with each principle in turn over the
action as a whole. Thislmalces for brevity and clarity but zeqpires
6. An introducizion and conclusion are not essential, but are always
desirable even under other sobriqucts. Students should be advised to
read N.S.H. Chapter 5, Section 3 before starting their paper.
7. Warm students not to deface the "white" and explain that the
Appendices will prokxzbly be used for the next course. ‘-
Conduct of tileichane
, 8. The scheme is to be teommentcd on by the DS in the normal way
‘ except that the comments should concentrate on criticism of solutions
‘ as papers and deal particularly vrith lay--out, style, logical argument,
sequence of argument, handling of the subject, etc. in r.ccorda11cc with
para. 1 (c) above. The subject nutter in general will be largely
covered in the ccntxul discussion which follows. DS should however
criticise this aspect where it is obviously at fault. There is no
staff example. i
9. Seo‘L:'Lon DS should nominate one member of their section to speak on
h each of the subjects listed on the attached form (Appendix "C") and this
' form should be given to DST by 1600 Thursday, 30th April. The "remarks"
are to assist in choosing opening speakers for the central discussion. w
Students should be warned for which subjects they have been nominated. '
10. Students should retain their rough notes for use in the
central discussion. 3