You are viewing our old interface! Click here to try out the new version!

 OM  TX945.5.C38 N56 1882  1 sheet ;  21 x 12 cm.  Title supplied by cataloger.   One silk fringed menu card with a silk ribbon at upper right, mounted on a slightly larger card stock. It is for a dinner for Philadelphia, No. 2, Calvary, No.13, St. George's Hall, Philadelphia, October 26th, 1882. Fare included Raw Oysters, Mumm's Ex. Dry and P. Heidsick champagne, Lobster Salad, Gherkins, French Meringues and much more. Reverse is blank. The meal was held at St. George's Hall built in 1835 by architect Thomas Walter Ustick as a residence for Philadelphia railroad magnate Matthew Newkirk. Gracing the Southwest corner of 13th & Arch Streets, the marble palace was bought by the Society of the Sons of St. George in 1876 for use as their headquarters. A statue of St. George on horseback slaying the dragon decorated the front of the building. The building was demolished in 1903. The Society of the Sons of St. George, was established at Philadelphia, for the advice and assistance of Englishmen in distress, 1797. 

More Details
Permanent Link

Full TitleMenu for the Society of the Sons of St. George Philadelphia No. 2 to Calvary, No. 13 meal.
Author Society of the Sons of St. George.
Date Added 5 November 2014
Format Book
Language English
Publish Date 1882-10-26
Publisher Philadelphia : Society of the Sons of St. George
Source Americana
Topic