Skip to content
FALVEY MEMORIAL LIBRARY
FALVEY MEMORIAL LIBRARY
American Catholic Historical Society
A short sketch of Old St. Gregory's Church and Parish in (West) Philadelphia, 1849-1872. Records of...
Switch to old viewer
A short sketch of Old St. Gregory's Church and Parish in (West) Philadelphia, 1849-1872. Records of the American Catholic Historical Society of Philadelphia. Volume X. Pages 78-89.
Reuss, Francis X.
11 January 2014
Philadelphia : American Catholic Historical Society of Philadelphia
Catholica ACHS Records
St. Gregory's Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Kenrick, Francis Patrick, 1798-1863.
A SHORT SKETCH OF OLD ST. GREGORY’S CHURCH AND PARISH IN (WEST) PHILADELPHIA, 1849-1872. Bv FRANCIS X. Rnuss. In 1849, Bishop Kenrick bought about forty-three acres of land, then owned by Mr. Nicholas Fnlmer, a farmer and dairyman in that part of Philadelphia county, known as Blockley Township, and on a line with the old Lancaster Turnpike; for this land he paid $250 per acre. This was intended to be used as a cemetery for the Catholics of the city of Philadelphia. A few years later he bought an adjoining tract of thirteen acres at $750 per acre, on which was later built an asylum for male orphan children, and known as St. John's orphanage. The cemetery was then surveyed, graded and enclosed, laid out in avenues and lots. It was consecrated Sunday, September I6, 1849, by Right Reverend John Mary Odin, bishop of Galveston, Texas, who was visit- ing in our city. He was assisted by Rev. F. X. Gartland, of St. John’s church, and later bishop of Savannah, Ga. Rev- erend William O'Hara, D.D., of St. Patrick's, present"‘ bishop of Scranton, Pa., Rev. Joseph J. Deane of Pittsbnrg, Bishop Kenrick preaching. Five large crosses had been erected, one in the centre, and one on each boundary line of the ground. The procession of bishops, clergy and laity made the circuit of the ground, an immense crowd of people being present to witness the ceremony. The lots were then sold in great numbers, by Mr. Frenaye, who visited all the best man- aged cemeteries in the city, examining their books and records, applying the knowledge thus gained to the keeping of a set of Records for the new cemetery, that he kept himself for over ten 78'Since the above was written Bishop O'Hara has been gathered to his fathers.