Skip to content
Read our Accessibility Statement
FALVEY MEMORIAL LIBRARY
FALVEY MEMORIAL LIBRARY
American Catholic Historical Society
The Wilcox Paper Mill (Ivy Mills) 1729-1866. Records of the American Catholic Historical Society of...
Switch to old viewer
The Wilcox Paper Mill (Ivy Mills) 1729-1866. Records of the American Catholic Historical Society of Philadelphia. Volume VIII. Pages 28-85.
11 January 2014
Philadelphia : American Catholic Historical Society of Philadelphia
Catholica ACHS Records
Disclaimer of Liability
Disclaimer of Endorsement
28 AMERICAN CATHOLIC HISTORICAL Socnrrv. THE WILLCOX PAPER MILL (IVY MILLS), 1729-I866. BY JOSEPH WILLCOX. Nora.-So many incidents of future historical interest are associated with the old Paper Mill, at Ivy Mills, that the writer has lately been induced to collect and to put on record, now, whatever data may be available at this late date; realizing the fact that, with each succeeding generation, the more dimcult, and also the more incom- plete, will be the undertaking of writing its history. The few old books, letters and other papers, which could aEord any information concerning the operations of the mill, have lately been examined. A few samples only of the many lots of watermarked bank-note and bond papers, made atuthe mill, have survived the ordeal of destruction. Even in the case of the operation of the mill, under the management of the writer, not one specimen remains, with one exception, of the various orders for watermarked bank-note papers made for foreign countries. some of the letters and other papers, referred to, have lately been pre- sented to the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, and have been bound in four vol-, nines labeled “ Willcox Papers." In the following incomplete history, references are made to some of these letters and other papers, by the designation of “Willcox Papers." The writer takes this opportunity to express his indebtedness to Mr. John W. Jor- dan, of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, for his valuable assistance in obtaining information from the books in the library of that Society; and also to Messrs. Alfred Sharpless and Gilbert Cope, of West Chester, for information obtained from the records in that town. In a picturesque and fertile valley, the most widely spread among the hills of Concord, there iiows a stream known as the West Branch of Chester Creek. Three miles or more above its junction with the main stream there stands a paper-mill of former times, now idle and silent, awaiting the relentless destiny of ruin, that, in the prog- ress of time, overhangs all the creations of human hands, which have served their purpose and outlived their use- fulness. In late years inclement frosts and tempestuous winds have already completed their destructive work among the old ivy vines, and stripped them from the stone walls over