Skip to content
Read our Accessibility Statement
FALVEY MEMORIAL LIBRARY
FALVEY MEMORIAL LIBRARY
American Catholic Historical Society
Pew Register of St. Mary's Church Philadelphia, Pa from 1787-1791. Records of the American Catholic...
Switch to old viewer
Pew Register of St. Mary's Church Philadelphia, Pa from 1787-1791. Records of the American Catholic Historical Society of Philadelphia.Volume V. No.3. Pages 357-384.
Middleton, Thomas C. (Thomas Cooke), 1842-1923.
11 January 2014
Philadelphia : American Catholic Historical Society of Philadelphia
Catholica ACHS Records
St. Mary's Church (Philadelphia, Pa.).
Disclaimer of Liability
Disclaimer of Endorsement
Paw REGISTER OF ST. MARY’s CHURCH, PHILADELPHIA. 57 Few Register of St. Mary’s Church, Philadelphia, Pa., from 1787-1791. ' . Prepared from the original and annotated by REV. THOMAS C. MIDDLETON, D. D., O. S. A. The Pew Register of St. Mary’s church, which is here published for the first time, gives the names of the pew holders from December 8th, 1787, down to May, I79I. ' The location of the pews (in the church) may easily be ascertained by reference to the diagrams of the church sittings published in a former volume of the Records?“ By referring to them one can easily understand the letters employed in the present list of pew holders to indicate their sittings in the church. The letters are as follows: “ E. G.”, “ L. P.”, “ N. G.” and “ S. G.”; these refer to East Gallery, Lower Pews, North Gallery and South Gallery respectively.‘ Opposite Thomas Fitzgerald’s pew “ No. 13,” in the Rent List for December 8th, I 787, are two letters--‘‘ 5. N.”, which thus appear in the original‘. Their significance is not understood; neither are the crosses, as + or X, which the clerk has occasionally added to the -pew numbers. The determination of the pew charges, as well as all other financial matters connected with St. Mary’s church appertained to the Trustees, as may be seen by reference to the Minute Book published in the preceding volume of the Records. From the regulations drawn up therefor by the Trusteesl’ in 1782, it appears that the pews were put up at auction, and it See Records of the American Catholic Historical Society for 1893, vol. IV, pp. 266-267. 1' See “article 5th” among the Articles agreed upon by the Catholic Congregation of . . . . St. JlIary’.s, . . September Ed, 1752', in Records, IV, p. 253.