Image from Patrick Coad Family Papers. These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net. St. Charles Borromeo Seminary was founded in 1832 by Bishop Francis Kenrick, the third Bishop of Philadelphia. The seminary was initially located on Fifth Street in Philadelphia, but moved to 18th and Race Street next to the Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul, before moving, in 1871, to its present home in Overbrook.