Historic Papers

This collection brings together various groupings of historic paper and pamphlet collections owned by the American Catholic Historical Society on noted Catholics and Catholic institutions, and memorable events related to Catholic history, and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/

Saved in:
Tags: Add Tag
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Showing 1 - 16 of 16 Items


This is a collection of Catholic church lithographs by the Philadelphia lithography firm of Packard and Butler (later Packard, Butler and Partridge), There are over 400 prints of interior or exterior views of Catholic churches throughout the United States and parts of Canada. For more information about this collection, see: http://www.pahrc.net/index.php/packard-butler-and-partridge-lithograph-collection/

These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/
This collection contains the papers related to Major David Lynch, the bulk of the papers span the years 1830-1858: including letters to and from James Buchanan. These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society on and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/
This collection contains the papers of Eleanor C. Donnelly, 1838-1917. She was a figure on the Philadelphia Literary scene. She was a known as "The Poet of the Pure Soul", and was also a contributor to numerous Catholic magazines and newspapers. She edited the Augustinian magazine "Our Lady of Good Counsel" for a period and wrote over 85 books. This collection contains correspondence to and from her, largely from priests and Bishops throughout the United States in answer to her requests for facsimiles of episcopal seals. As well as a manuscript containing signatures of American Confederate prisoners of war held at the Johnston's Island prison. Items are arranged in sequential order. For more information about this American Civil War item, please see the Johnson Island Society Preservation Society's page on POW Autograph Books. The bulk of the materials date from 1873-1898. These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/
Elizabeth Ann Seton Letters, 1799-1818. This small collection includes letters from Elizabeth Ann Seton to Matthias and Joseph O'Conway. Matthias, a prominent Philadelphia especially within the Catholic community, was a the father of Cecilia O'Conway, Philadelphia's first nun and the first woman to join Seton's order, the Sisters of Charity. The correspondence is personal in nature and relates to several members of the O'Conway family. These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/

Elizabeth Sarah Kite (1864-1954) was a teacher, social scientist, historian and archivist. Born in Philadelphia to Quaker parents, Kite undertook advanced studies in Europe for six years. While studying in England in 1906, Kite was baptized a Catholic. Upon her return, she taught in a number of private schools in Pennsylvania, California, and Massachusetts.

Kite worked at the Vineland Training School for Mental Defectives, 1909-1918, and conducted research there (and later under the auspices of the New Jersey Commissioner of Charities and Corrections) pertaining to residents of the Pine Barrens. She translated The Intelligence of the Feeble-Minded by Alfred Binet and Theodore Simon (translation published 1916). She also researched various historical topics, especially the influence of French participation during the American Revolution, and served as the archivist for American Catholic Historical Society. Kite became the first laywoman to receive the degree of doctor of literature at Villanova College later University.

The collection mostly contains correspondence, including Kite family letters, as well as ephemera, clippings, and drafts. 1.2 linear ft., 3 boxes.

These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/

Digitization status: ongoing.

This collection brings together various groupings of historic paper and pamphlet collections owned by the American Catholic Historical Society on noted Catholics and Catholic institutions, and memorable events related to Catholic history, and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/


This collection contains materials related to the Fenian Brotherhood, a secret society founded in New York in 1857 by Irish refugees, and their unsuccessful attempts to spark revolution in Ireland by the invasion of Canada from Buffalo, New York at the close of the United States Civil War. The Fenian Brotherhood not only had an army but also a "Navy" consisting of a tugboat carrying a gun that steamed up and down the Niagara River between Buffalo and Fort Erie. After 1870, the Brotherhood was gradually absorbed by the Clan-na-Gael. This collection contains correspondence, minutes, and other materials related to the invasion. Much of the correspondence are letters received and sent by Frank B. Gallagher, a senior member the Brotherhood. These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/
This collection documents Irish Americans and their organizations. These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/
This is the ICBA collection. These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/
This collection, spanning the years 1766 to 1910, contains printed and manuscript materials authored by, and related to, Thomas Lloyd (1756 - 1827), known as the "Father of American Shorthand," and the broader Lloyd family. These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096: http://www.pahrc.net/ Note: the Villanova Digital Library Lloyd Collection has additional research materials available on Thomas Lloyd and his family. Digitization Status: Scanning initiated.
This collection contains rare manuscripts and pamphlets about the Molly Maguires, a secret Irish organization that was organized in the coal regions of Pennsylvania. Labor disputes, strikes, and violence combined together in an explosive mix. The result was the arrest, trial, and execution of a number of accused members of this organization. These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/
This collection contains personal papers and a scrapbook written by or pertaining to Patrick Coad, inventor of the galvanic battery, and his family. These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/
This collection contains materials related to the Anti-Catholic Philadelphia Riots (also known as the Nativist Riots, the Philadelphia Prayer Riots, and the Bible Riots) in 1844. These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/
This collection brings together scrapbooks about the American Catholic Historical Society and scrapbooks created by society members. These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/
This subcollection contains single papers, awards, certificates, letters, and pamphlets uncollected elsewhere. These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society on and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/
William C. White (dates of birth and death are unknown) was an Irish Catholic Union soldier from Philadelphia. White began his Civil War service as a volunteer with the 69th Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers on August 19, 1861 and served in some of the bloodiest and most important battles of the War – Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. This collection contains letters from White to his parents in Philadelphia, recounting his experiences during the war.  (Bulk, 1861-1864 ) September 27, 1861 - July 13, 1869. A complete finding aid is available online at: http://www.pahrc.net/faids/view.php/White_William.xml  These materials are owned by the American Catholic Historical Society on and maintained at the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Rd. Wynnewood, PA 19096. For more information please see: http://www.pahrc.net/